- Compact, high performance L-series super-telephoto zoom makes it ideal for sports and wildlife photography.
- One fluorite and one super UD lens element provides excellent correction of chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, helping to deliver high-quality images with high resolution and contrast.
- Rotation-type zoom ring allows for more precise composition and excellent balance when handholding.
- Inner focusing, ring USM, a high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms for fast and accurate autofocusing.
- Optical Image Stabilizer provides up to four shutter speed steps of correction*.
- Three image stabilization modes (standard, panning, and during exposure only) provide outstanding results for a wide range of shooting situations.
- Improved zoom torque adjustment ring allows easy setting of zoom tension.
- Highly resistant to dust and water, and amazing durability enabling shooting even in harsh conditions.
- Circular aperture (9 blades) helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds.
- Fluorine coating on front and rear lens surfaces helps reduce smears and fingerprints.
- Lens hood with side window permits specialty filters to be adjusted with hood in place.
- Newly designed tripod mount can be attached or detached without removing the lens from the camera.
- Minimum focusing distance of 3.2 ft. / 0.98 m with 0.31x maximum magnification.
Focal Length & Maximum Aperture
21 elements in 16 groups
Diagonal Angle of View
Inner focus system / USM
Closest Focusing Distance
3.2 ft. / 0.98m
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight
Approx: 3.7 x 7.6 / 94 x 193mm
Approx. 3.46 lbs./1570g (without tripod mount)
Approx. 3.62 lbs./1640g (with tripod mount)